Alameda County Medication Disposal Initiative
Permanent sites are now available for convenient Rx disposal.
DID YOU KNOW:
- Poisoning is the fastest rising cause of accidental death among older adults, particularly from overdoses of over-the-counter, prescription and illicit drugs. (American Public Health Association, The Nation’s Health, August ed., 2007)
- And…In Alameda County nonfatal hospitalized injuries from unintentional poisonings for adults 60 and older increased 43% from 1998 to 2006. (‘Select Health Indicators for Cities in Alameda County, 2007’, Prepared for the Hospital Council of Northern and Central California)
- Approximately six out of 10 teens agree that prescription drugs are easy to get from their parents' and grandparents’ medicine cabinets. (The Partnership for a Drug Free America, 2009)
- A 2008 Associated Press investigation found pharmaceuticals in the drinking water supplies of at least 41 million Americans in 24 major metropolitan areas.
- And….. Pharmaceutical medications thrown in the trash can leach out of landfills into the environment.
Provision of safe and convenient medicine disposal programs and the promotion of preventative health strategies are some of the most effective solutions to preventing access to these drugs by youth, misuse by older adults, and preventing negative impacts to the environment.